Pages

Friday 30 October 2015

Magic under the moonlight

About night life

New York nightlife is something you wouldn’t like to miss. The endless parade of urban fuss doesn’t stop even at night. Teachers at college tell us to use the city as an extended classroom -  roam the streets, observe and get inspired. My friend Missy, who is an art student, shares my love for the night sceneries of NY, so we often wander together down the neon-lit streets. While I admire the fascinating views created by millions of artificial lights, Missy draws her sketches. She says that after the sun hides behind the horizon, the city is instantly transformed into a place of magic. On one of those magic nights, Missy and I were vividly discussing something, when she suddenly stopped and shouted, “Just look here, Al! OMG, the scenery looks just like one of Leonid Afremov’s paintings I saw the other day!”

About Mr. Afremov and a bit about my loneliness

“Leonid who?” - I asked, chuckling. Being weird is so Missy-style. She told me about an amazing artist she got familiar with recently at her modern art class - Leonid Afremov, who is, just like us, captivated and inspired by night urban scenery. Later that night, lying in my bed and googling his abstract canvas art, I found that all of his canvas sets are offered for sale online. Browsing through his paintings, I was impressed by the highly imaginative and emotional manner of this artist. Night cityscapes are a recurring motif in Afremov’s canvas art. Simple magic of street lights and their shimmering reflections, the solitude of empty streets – all this just screams romance to me... and again, just like the day I watched “Autumn in New York”, I felt the need for love. There were three things I figured that day:
  1. I’m becoming too sentimental
  2. I need to buy more ice-cream and oreos
  3. I want to use this painting in my next design project

About my passion

Missy finds it outrageous that I view art as a means of decorating the interior. Well, I can still appreciate the artistic value of contemporary art canvases she is fascinated by. But design is my thing, this is what turns me on. My recent turn-on was Leonid Afremov’s art when I got to thinking how his paintings can enhance my interior. I really think his modern art canvas would make a perfect central piece for a spacious living room decorated in minimalist style. So, if you’re looking to buy a piece of contemporary art to decorate your crib, I’d say that Mr. Afremov’s night cityscapes will be an awesome pick!




No comments:

Post a Comment